Are you looking for some last minute party ideas? Well, we all know Dennis Dean has impeccable taste (at least our great clients and events tell us so!), but his attention to detail might be traced to his grandmother, Carola Ubbsen.
Her handwritten recipe for the perfect holiday treat has been preserved and now Dennis is sharing it as a special gift to us.
Schaun Meringue Torte
9” x 13” Pan, Baking Time: Slow, 275o Oven
8 egg whites (Large)
-Let eggs stand at room temperature for an hour or so whites will stiffen up better.
¼ tsp. salt
¾ tsp. cream of tartar
2 ½ cups of granulated sugar
1 Tbls. Vinegar
- Beat egg whites and salt until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar & beat until whites hold stiff peaks.
- Add sugar slowly, in small amounts.
- Add vinegar slowly.
- Spray 9” x 13” pan with Pam Spary, or grease with shortening of your choice.
- Line bottom with part of meringue, use back of large spoon to work some up sides to make a lining.
- Bake in slow oven until delicately brown, about 1½ hours.
- Turn off the oven and let the it dry out in the oven for about 1½ hours, door closed.
- Cool and fill with your favorite fruit and top with cool whip.
Happiest of Happy Holidays to you and Happy Cooking!